With the hustle and bustle of the holidays, ticking names off your nice list can wear down the magnetic stripe on your credit card. Here are a few easy and creative ways to save a swipe this season.
Fist Bumps and High Fives
High five your way to making someone’s day. Did they make your day just a little bit better, will this turn their day around? Find 12 people, anywhere and share yours stoke. It’s probably contagious!
The Holiday Dozen
Make a dozen, taste one, deliver eleven. You can’t send bad cookies ;)
Spritzalicious Tea Biscuits, Vegan Friendly
1 cup solid but softened Coconut Oil (or Butter if you prefer)
1/2 cup cane sugar
2 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour *(see note for Gluten Free)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 tsp vanilla
*To make this gluten-free friendly we substituted the flour for an 80/20 mix of gluten free oat flour and coconut flour. The texture is slightly dry. Mix in slowly until you have a consolidated dough.
1. Beat Coconut Oil, sugar in large bowl or stand mixer on medium speed. Continue to mix in salt, vanilla and applesauce. Slowly add in flour.
2. Use spritz cookie press for desired shapes or keep is simple. Form dough into a log shape wrapped in parchment paper and chill for at least an hour.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or silpat baking sheet. Press cookies, or slice off roll and place one to 2 inch apart. Bake 6-8 minutes or until set, lightly golden on the bottom. Immediately remove from sheet to wire rack.
4. Let them cool, NOM one and package the remaining 11 for your friend.
Or Check out this recipe for Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies
Up "Cycle" your Tree
A “Green” tree can come in all shapes and sizes. Here’s one idea for a DIY tiny tree.
Materials & Tools:
1 Old, but cleaned, chain ring
6 Bike spokes
1 strand of tiny battery powered led lights
Pliers to trim and bend the bike spokes
Spike your Punch...Card
Here’s a free printable from us, just fill in the blanks and print on cardstock with your commitment to treating your partner in life or adventure with the gift you keep on giving.
Random Acts of Kindness
Stop being an observer of the world and start doing. If you see someone struggling help lift them up. Your challenge today is to find 9 random things to do that help another. Hold open a door, carry a load, you can always do more. So stop watching and start acting. Here are a few ideas to get your started.
- Hold the door for someone.
- Share your umbrella in the rain.
- Let a car merge in front of you.
- Give up your prime parking spot for a day.
- Buy a coffee for the person behind you in line.
- Give that extra jacket hanging in the back of your closet to someone in need.
- Offer to help a friend move out...or in (couches can be heavy).
- Take your injured or elderly neighbors pet out, even better, walk together.
- Commit to a season of volunteering with an organization your support.
Mix Pack Six Pack
This is a great way to meet your neighbors, or a little thank you for signing for that random amazon prime delivery at 2:12PM. What better way to say welcome to the building, street, or apodment by giving them a selection of your favorite bevies. Maybe they will invite you to share. You have a one in six shot of picking a flavor their will enjoy.
Bestow this honor upon those who have filled your year with adventures, shenanigans, and memories you debate telling your kids about.
Re-Gift your Wrappings
Convert any craft paper grocery bag or gift bag to a customized parcel for your special someone this holiday.
Materials & Tools:
1 gift bag or paper grocery bag
Remnant ribbon or bows
Permanent Paint Pen
& A spark of creativity
Cozy up on the couch and let your partner pick the flick.
Here are our top 4 Employee Favorites.
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
any Warren Miller Film
Take a Hike...at night
Experience the Winter solstice. Bundle up and take a hike in the moon lit snow with your favorite 4-legged friend. Invite your human friends along too.
Photo By Paul Itkin
Take a moment to think back on the year, who is that person who helped make your year just a little bit better. The person you might not think of in your daily routine and thank them.
Time is Precious...Give it.
Check out opportunities from our Project partners to get started.
Find any opportunity to get involved in your local community. Give a little of your holiday to make another's holiday come to life. Your time can be more impactful than the most beautifully wrapped gift.